Ladies (and gentleman too), we all have a few of these pieces in our jewelry box: that brooch from Great Aunt Sally that's too old fashioned to wear, that ring from Grandma that doesn't fit and isn't our style anyway, that engraved baby bracelet that's too small to wear anymore. Am I right?
You're not throwing any of it away, because it's meaningful. But it's just sitting there. Let's do something with it!
I call it jewelry upcycling. And you can feel good about it, because the meaningful stuff is going to get used, and you're not wasting excess new materials and resources in the process. It's practically conservation, people!
Here's how it works:
- Schedule initial consultation: You schedule a phone consultation with Emily using the link in the Custom Design Menu.
- Project Discussion: In the first call, you discuss the pieces you want to recycle. It's helpful if you send Emily pictures of the pieces ahead of the call. You tell Emily what you might want to make out of the old pieces, and Emily will give you an honest assessment of what seems feasible. In some cases, Emily may need to see the jewelry in person to make this assessment. Follow-up calls or meetings can be scheduled as necessary.
- Project Agreement: If you decide to work with Emily, you will pay a deposit and Emily will get started on the project you've discussed. She will need your pieces at this point, so you'll send them to her.
- Design Work: Emily will provide you with a design proposal, often in the form of a CAD design or wax model. You will either approve the design or request modifications. More than two rounds of modification may incur additional charges. Depending on your design, you may also view and select stones at this stage.
- Fabrication: Once you approve your design, fabrication begins. Because your piece is one-of-a-kind and made-to-order, it may take up to 3-4 weeks to be completed.
- Completion: Once your design is finished, it will be shipped to you and you will pay the balance on your account. Time to enjoy, celebrate, and show off your unique design to all your friends and family!